Thailand Medical Volunteers
This nursing and medical project assists villagers in rural and poor parts of Thailand that require medical assistance and education on hygiene and staying healthy. You will get to experience the life of a rural Thai village whilst getting involved with helping local staff diagnose and treat patients.
- Educate villagers about hygiene, health and keeping healthy
- Experience the way of life in a rural Thai village
- Assist Thai medical staff in procedures (Dependant on current experience/qualifications)
You will be working Monday- Thursday, 9am until 3pm, with Fridays and weekends free.
Typically activities may include any of the following:
- Conducting general health checks with the villagers including weight, height and waist measurements.
- Participating in the Hypertension Clinic; focusing on blood pressure, weight and BMI
- Participating in the Diabetics Clinic; screening patients for what is a more and more common challenge in the community
- Helping educate the villagers about health challenges and remaining healthy. Common areas focused on are Dengue Fever, Hand Foot and Mouth Program and Birth Control Program.
- Joining home visits
- Assessment of child development in the community
- Participating in the school health check program including educating young students about the importance of basic hygiene
- If you are Medically qualified you MAY be able to assist with the diagnosing of illnesses and treatment, subject to the agreement of the Thai professionals on site and their patients
- If you are a qualified Nurse you MAY be able to assist with occasional dressing of wounds, sutures etc although this is of course subject to the agreement of the Thai professionals on site and their patients
- ER Part do the wound dressing, suture (Need experience), Injection (Need experience)
- Assisting with clinics at the local temple, running health checks for the monks
- Participating in ‘pap’ / ‘smear’ test screening – subject to your qualifications and agreement of the local professionals and patients
- Observing the role of the clinic and those working there
- Packing the medications and medical materials or packing the medical materials.
- Experiencing the way of life in a rural Thai village
- Two nights guest house accommodation in Bangkok & accommodation in volunteer house
- Airport pick-up on arrival
- Full orientation of project and surrounding areas
- 24 hour emergency support and full ongoing Thai translator support
What's Not Included
- Travel Insurance
- Return Airport Transfer