Medical Elective in Ghana
This medical work experience internship is ideal if you are considering studying medicine at university, or are currently training in the medical field as part of your elective. Students from around the world join our internship programme, which is designed specifically to give unparalleled experience working in some of Ghana’s top hospitals and clinics, and valuable insight into the medical services that exist in Africa and the issues they face.
Experience/ Qualifications required: Must be already qualified in this field or at university studying medicine or similar.
Nationalities: This programme is open to all nationalities (subject to visa requirements.)
Typical Hours: Monday-Friday; 4-6 hours a day; Occasional work at weekends but usually free for personal time and travel.
Remuneration: Unpaid position
Here is a list of the areas in which you can request to specialize… Participants can choose to work in a range of different wards and areas, or focus on one throughout the duration of your programme.
• Accident and Emergency
• Child Health (Paediatrics and NICU Unit)
• E&T( Ear, Nose and Throat)
• Obstetrics & Gynaecology
• Medical & Surgical Emergency
• Fevers Unit- Name came about because of confidentiality and stigmatisation. AIDS patients ward
• Diabetic Unit
• Hypertension Unit
• Reproductive and Child Health(RCH) such as Adolescent health, Family Planning and MVA( Manual Vacuum Aspiration)
• Plastic and reconstructive unit
• Cardio thoracic Unit(CTU)
• CHPS- Community- Based Health Planning and services
• Mental Health eg Acute ward- drug addicts, Child Mental ward etc
Whilst you will be working during the week, weekends are free to explore Ghana in more depth. If you are on a long-term placement, for three months or more, traveling trips can be arranged during your stay to give you a break from your volunteer work.
Project length: 4 - 12 Weeks
- Medical Internship Placement
- Airport transfer on arrival
- All accommodation and meals
- Detailed orientation
- Full support throughout your placement
- Social activities
What's Not Included
- Travel insurance (we can help with this)
- Transport to your workplace