CAPE HAUY - TASMAN NATIONAL PARK - GUIDED DAY HIKE
Hike the last day of the award-winning three capes track. Cape Hauy is a dramatic 9km return track with amazing views towards Cape Pillar and Maria Island, plus along the Tasman National Park coastline. Start and finish the hike at the beautiful white sand beach of Fortescue Bay. This track has plenty of steps, 2000ish.. :-)
Walking time: 4 hours | Walking distance: 9KM
Track Rating: 4, involves many rock-stairs, undulating terrain, exposed cliff lines, board walked with easy signed tracks.
Food: morning tea, trail snacks, afternoon lunch.
Drinks: Coffee, tea, water
Terrain: Rock stairs, gravel paths, coastal.
(See Tasmania Travel and Tours )
- Departs Hobart Travel and Information Centre (Corner of Davey & Elizabeth Street) - 8:30 AM
- Scenic drive to the stunning Tasman Peninsula, via the seaside towns of Dunalley & Eagle-Hawk Neck, learning the harsh convict history from this natural prison.
- Enjoy morning tea with hot coffee/tea while overlooking the map for the days walk.
- The hike to Cape Hauy is a 9KM return walk. The first stairs are a great warm-up for the day. The trail work is some of the best in the country, pleasantly placed rock steps, skirting the coastline then winding up in-land.
- Cape Hauy is the last leg of the newly opened Three Capes Track, jutting out into the Tasman Sea, the track concludes on the cliff's edge, 100M above the water. Enjoy panoramic views to Cape Pillar, Hippolyte Rock and Maria Island.
- View spectacular dolerite columns popular with dare-devil climbers. Gaze over the sea stacks known as the "Candlestick" and "Totem Pole".
- On returning to Fortescue Bay, enjoy an afternoon lunch by the beach. Soak your toe in the water, have a swim or walk the beach before we hit the road home.
- Arrive back to Hobart approx. 5:30 PM